Vitamin Supplementation for Bypass and Sleeve Patients
After bariatric surgery it will take your body some time to heal. It is important to follow the guidelines we provide for you to ensure that your body heals properly and obtains proper nutrition. The following includes a supplement guide for gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy.
Multivitamin / Mineral
- Band: 1 x every day
- Bypass: 2 x every day (chewable)
- Sleeve: 2 x every day
Flintstones Plus Iron Chewable, or Fruity Chews with Iron, or Bariatric Advantage: Multi Formula Chewable (take each tablet separately with food)
Chewable Calcium with Vitamin D3
300-400mg Calcium: 3 times daily (1500mg/day)
*do not take within 2-4 hours of taking the iron supplement
Especially in Gastric Bypass Patients: Calcium Citrate is absorbed better than Calcium Carbonate.
- Calcium Citrate Chewable Wafers (333 mg Calcium/wafer). Chew 1 wafer 3 times daily, or
- Bariatric Advantage 400mg Calcium Citrate. Chew 3 tablets daily, or
- Calcium Citrate chewable (400mg tablet) Chew 1 tablet 3 times daily.
1 time daily
Contains all the B Vitamins
- Vitamin B-Complex: sublingual tablet/fluid. Dissolve 1 tablet/fluid daily under the tongue then swallow.
1 time daily
*(for menstruating women only or history of anemia)
*Do not take within 2-4 hours of taking the calcium.
- FeSO4 Ferrous Sulfate Elixir 325mg one time daily or
- Ferrous Fumarate Suspension (33mg Iron/5ml) Take 1 teaspoonful (5ml)daily or
- Niferex (Polysaccharide Iron) elixir (100mg Iron/5ml). Take 1⁄2 teaspoonful (2.5ml) daily or
- Bariatric Advantage 18mg iron tablets: 2 chewable tablets daily